Sunday, March 12, 2006

Cha, Cha, Cha Chia

I am so excited! My Chias are growing! Yes, I own a Chia, but not a Chia pet. It's a Chia herb garden. My mom got it for me for my birthday. Yes, I actually requested this gift after seeing it on television.

I can not even begin to explain how proud I am that I am actually growing something. This plant growing thing is a really big deal to me. See, I've never done it before. I use to buy herb plants in the commissary and they would live for a month or two and then die. And, I made many attempts to kill my houseplants while in Germany. However, they continued to live until we moved and it was a very sad day when I gave them away. But, I have never planted anything from seed. Grandma always planted the garden and I would help pick when she didn't just show up at our front door with a basket full of veggies and fruit.

During the first few weeks back in January or February (I can't remember exactly), I wasn't so sure about it. I had to grow the plants from seed and the directions talked about germination. I had no idea what plant germination was supposed to look like. I was seeing these 'things' that looked like either mini puss balls or fish eggs depending on the pot I was peering into. But, I kept watering and now, voila, I have green plants. Not quite herbs that are usable, but they definitely have potential. The basil leaves actually look like mini basil leaves to me. So, my fingers are crossed that the little plants will continue to grow and flourish and provide me with lots of yummy fresh herbs. I should have cilantro, basil, dill, and parsley.

If all goes well and they live, I think I will buy a giant pot and a lemon tree next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home