Thursday, February 16, 2006

Connection by way of Flowers

It's funny how one thing can spark a memory of something else and/or make me think of the oddest things. Looking at the flowers sitting beside me, I am reminded of so many things. I am reminded that my husband loves me, he had them delivered to the house on the 14th a.k.a Valentine's Day a.k.a. the day that we got engaged. I am reminded of our wedding because there are Stargazer lilies in the bouquet and they were in our wedding alter flowers. I am reminded of love in general because there are red roses in the bouquet and red roses always remind me of love. I am reminded of my Grandma M because she loves flowers and all season long she has fresh flowers to share. I am reminded just how silly I am sometimes because I have been toting the vase and its contents from room to room for three days now because I want to enjoy the flowers as much as possible and for as long as they last. That in turn makes me think about the fact that they won't be around forever and how flowers are related to death and funerals. I am then reminded of a friend who shares the same engagement day. And, although I could probably go on for hours with this, I wont's, so finally the last two sentences in turn remind me of a poem that is one of my favorites. I will share what I recall from memory (I'm too lazy to look it up), it's by Robert Frost and I am pretty sure it's titled Nothing Gold Can Stay:

Nature's first green is gold.
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower, but
Only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief.
So dawn goes down to day,
Nothing gold can stay.

The wording may not be exact, but it's pretty close. It's one of my favorite poems as well as one of the only poems that I know by heart. That's it, as promised.

1 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Robert Frost is my favorite poet. My favorite piece is "The Road Not Taken." Good stuff.

8:51 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home