Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Go Ahead, Cut My Eye

I am near sighted and can’t even read the alarm clock in the morning without putting on my glasses. After wearing either glasses or contacts since 4th grade, I think it would be rather nice to not have to wear either. So, I decided that I would like to know in greater detail what happens when Lasik surgery is done.

Lasik is the laser eye surgery to correct vision, so that glasses and contacts are no longer needed. So, I drug my husband to a Lasik seminar last night at the local eye clinic. We actually got to witness the procedure being performed live and had a question and answer session from the patient afterward. It was very informative.

I can hardly believe that it only takes about 20 minutes for the surgery itself. That’s both eyes! And, by the following morning, most people can see 20/20. Yeah, it’s a little pricey, but since I am on my new budget kick, I figure that in the long run I will be saving at least $7,000 by having it done. Here’s the catch . . .

They actually cut a flap on your eyeball. The thought of someone cutting my eye makes my stomach turn. And, that flap never grows shut again. The doctors explained that there is a natural suction to the cornea that keeps it down, but still . . . what happens if I rub my eye wrong, rip it off, and am left blind. The logical side of my mind says that this won’t happen, but the pessimist in me thinks that it could. Something about it just freaks me out.

So, now the question is, can I do it? I want to, especially after fighting with my contacts which almost made me late to my kickboxing class this morning. But, will I be able to suppress the girly-girl, scaredy cat side of me long enough to go through with it. Maybe, after all it only takes 20 minutes and they give you valium.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lasik is an awesome procedure. I haven't had it (doubt I will with the multiple problems I have with my eyes), but have seen a couple drs about it. My mom, uncle, and sister-in-law have had it done. All are very happy with it.

To clarify a few points: the cornea flap does grow back. It takes up to 2 yrs (slow process--no blood vessels in your cornea), but it does reattach. The suction is what keeps it attached for the first few weeks, until it starts to partially reattach.

Also, Lasik will correct your near-sightedness, but that doesn't mean you'll be free from glasses for life. It does nothing for presbyopia (AKA 'old-age vision'--how nice), which is what makes people need reading glasses. This problem can start around age 40.

Just want to make sure you're prepared and I'm sure you'll love the results if you get it done!

10:16 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to sign the above:
Beth

10:16 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home