Thursday, January 19, 2006

SLOW DOWN!!!

PRE-DINNER:

There is more to life than increasing its speed.
~ Gandhi

That just happened to be the quote on the cap of the Honest Tea that I picked up as a treat for myself while I was grocery shopping today. How true it is. When I was a kid, I could not wait until I turned 13, I would finally be a teenager, Yippy!!! When I was in high school, I could not wait to turn 16 so I could drive, Yippy!!! When I was in college, I could not wait to turn 21 so I could drink alcoholic beverages legally, Yippy!!!! Now that I am in grad school . . . um yeah that looking forward to turning any sort of number has come to a screeching halt!

I think that is why I laughed when I read the quote on the cap because today of all days I want to do anything but increase the speed of life. If you haven't figured it out yet, today is my birthday, the big 3-2. I am fortunate to share it with one of the strongest women I know and one whose friendship I cherish and treasure more than she may ever realize. Happy Birthday Heidi!

As I get older, what I consider to be old keeps moving too. Heck I used to think that 30 was old. Looking back, I realize things like my Aunt Pat, who was one of the coolest and most fun aunts ever, was really young when she took us to the pool and bought us Oreos and Klondike bars. No wonder she was so cool. She wasn't "old" like my mom was (yeah, at the time, Mom was in her 30s and Aunt Pat was in her 20s). I don't know why it boggles my mind so much but it does.

I am also a little sad today. I have been reflecting a bit and I notice more and more that the people I love are getting older. And that really makes me sad. I can't write any more about it or I will cry and it's my birthday and I don't want to cry.

POST DINNER:

My husband surprised me with the Disney animated version of Tarzan for a birthday gift. He is good! I have wanted that movie for a very long time. He also took me out for dinner at this local place called The Mash House. If you are ever in the area, I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's a restaurant and brewery -- yes, they make their own beer (rootbeer too) and you can even get a variety of 4oz. testers. It was great! The perfect thing for the girl/woman like me who takes an eternity to make decisions.

All in all, it was pretty good day. But, I still want the speed of time to slow down!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

10:58 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home