Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bones & Society

I know that TV is TV and that what is said must be taken with a grain (or two) of salt, but something that was said on last week's episode of Bones struck a cord with me. Just in case you are not familiar with the Wednesday night show, Bones is inspired by real-life forensic anthropologist and novelist Kathy Reichs. On the show, forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperence Brennan, works at the Jeffersonian Institution and has an uncanny ability to read clues left behind in a victim's bones. Consequently, the FBI calls her in to assist with murder investigations, so it is kind of CSIish, only with a focus on bones. (www.tv.com)

The episode I am referring to had to do with the bones of an elementary aged girl who disappeared from a beauty pageant. (Just think Jon Bennett Ramsey.) Anyhow, what struck a cord was a rant by Dr. Brennan about how a high concern with physical appearance and beauty has been the downfall of ancient societies.

I look at America today and can’t help but wonder, are we the new-age Roman Empire? It scares me that such a high level of caring and concern is given to Hollywood movie, television, & singing stars. I would venture to say that there are probably more shows dedicated to movie stars, makeovers, and plastic surgery, than to the news and people in society who are actually doing things that we should be concerned with. Point in case, the birth of Suri Cruise making the National News. I mean, why does this event constitute coverage on the National Level? It truly scares me.

At one point in the episode, as
www.tv.com reports, Dr. Brennan says (to some nine year olds), "So yours is a cultural structure predicated in the equation of beauty with power. You instinctively align yourselves with someone who holds the greatest potential for a societal supremacy. It's a Darwinian pressure you're too young to bare."

Now I have never been a fan of beauty pageants, and especially at such a young age. It just doesn't seem to be right for "baby" girls to be dressed up in heavy make-up and adult-like clothing, pranced in front of a crowded room in order for one of them to be crowned the winner. What the heck is this doing to the self-esteem of all of the "losers"? And, what are these girls really learning from the experience? These little girls are scarey to me. Not beautiful, not cute… frightening. I don't like clowns. I don't like dolls. And, I don't like little scarey pageant girls.

My other rumination is this...what mother would do this to their child? In the episode, the girl's hair was dyed, she had been using a corset in order to gain an hourglass shape, and had been on a very restricted diet. If this was done to a little girl who's mom was on welfare, I am sure that a social worker would cart her away because the mother would be judged as unfit, yet in the 'pageant world' this is okay.

Yes, I understand that Bones is a made up television show and that the show's pageant world was probably dramatized. But, then again, part of me wonders, are pageant really like that? And, in a world where a ‘beautiful’ super star gets a slap on the hand for something an ordinary American would go to jail for, I also have to wonder, is our society doomed because of its ever increasing preoccupation with beauty and fame as power?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bones maybe just a television show, but it one of the only show that focus on societal issues, thanks to Dr. Brennan being an anthropologist. The show brings up many issues in society today. This episode mirrors an episode last season Women at the Airport, which talks about plastic surgery. It strikes a similar chord, but because this episode deals with little girls, it strikes it harder. If you haven't seen it I recommend it.

But the thing is that Bones is never one sided, in this episode the mother of one of the girl points out that she loved doing the pageants and they sent her to college for free. La7ter in the episode at the end, they both agree that some of the girls really did have fun and were talented.

"So yours is a cultural structure predicated in the equation of beauty with power. You instinctively align yourselves with someone who holds the greatest potential for a societal supremacy. It's a Darwinian pressure you're too young to bare." Sounds more like something you hear in a post graduate seminar. I think she hit the last line perfectly.

10:13 PM EST  
Blogger The Monkey House said...

I totally agree with you. . .scary really. Makes me glad I don't have girls. Even when they aren't in pageants, girls seem to be under so much pressure to be GROWN UP at such a young age these days.
Sad. . .gone are the days of braids and jump ropes. Now there is only how early you can graduate from lip gloss to full makeup!

12:04 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, you've come up with a very interesting topic which I can't resist added my two cents:)I heard a similar comment about obsession with beauty as a cause of a societal downfall on last week's episode of Law & Order-Criminal Intent. Both Bones and L&O must have been filmed during the height of the media frenzy over the guy who confessed to killing JonBenet Ramsey. Is Bones an NBC show? Maybe they had the same team of writers!

Personally, I think the obsession with beauty doesn't CAUSE a downfall but is likely a symptom. Just like mass consumption of goods is a symptom.

Do you think the media hypes up these pageants? I don't know ANYONE who participates in these things. All the girls we know are into soccer or other sports.

You might be interested in the book by Jared Diamond called "Collaspe: How Societies choose to Fail or Suceed." I really liked his other book "Guns, Germs and Steel",too.

12:51 AM EST  
Blogger 4HB ME said...

Hey, lady! Want to weigh in on this. I was in a pageant years ago (too many to admit) and have always LOVED make-up, hairstyles and dress-up. BUT, now that I am a mom of a precocious, too-grown-up little girl, I am petrified of what she'll be exposed to in this day and age, no matter how much I try to protect and prepare her! I was 16 in the Miss Harrah pageant (I'll post pics if you're into really big hair and wide skirts) and it was pressure enough. I can't imagine being in that world at 4 or 5! You're just not equipped! But just today I heard of yet another acquaintance getting a lift and implants. And this is a grown, married woman! No offense to those who have gone under the knife, but it really does seem to be an epidemic! Now NBC is ditching the scripted dramas and comedies for the cheaper reality shows (less thought and $ involved)! It's a slippery slope to lord knows where. As if our values aren't skewed enough - the celebreties get paid millions while our educators are scraping by.......Man, I need to vent more often....sorry, haven't posted in forever...hey, I got on on here to get your address and phone#. Coming your way for TGiving. Send it to ryansredhead@gmail.com....love, A

9:15 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also was in pageants when I was younger (can you believe it...lol). I think the experience can be good for girls in the same way that I believe that dance, sports and academic competitions can be good for children if not taken to extremes. I only entered in pageants at my school (my parents would probably never have let me enter at any higher level) and learned quite a bit about poise and sportsmanship from them. I also learned a little something about self-esteem. So I don't necessarily think that beauty pageants are a terrible thing, but parents need to know where to draw the line, just like with anything else.

7:43 PM EST  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm with Aura...It's frustrating to turn on the TV and see nothing but worthless (in my humble opinion) reality shows. It's a big disappointment when compared with the quality entertainment the major networks had to offer not that many years ago. Thankfully, I have not tuned in to "Nip Tuck", "Dr.90210" or any of the other makeover dramas...I just wish that being natural and "human" would become hip instead of being plastic. :(

4:42 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home