Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Devil Sucks

Last night Husband and I went to see The Devil Wears Prada. I was a bit apprehensive because I felt that Meryl Streep did not fit my description of Miranda Priestly. However, Streep is a great actress and I had faith that she could pull it off. I was quite disappointed, not with Streep, but with the writers and producers.

I read Lauren Weisberger's book and the movie altered both characters and story line from the print version. Now, I understand and appreciate that film and print are not going to be identical. I can see cutting things from the film because of time constraints, but adding things that weren't in the book at all seems a bit idiotic. Why couldn't Hollywood at least keep the same plot? I loved what happened between the two main characters, Miranda and Andrea, at the end of the book, but the film version did not follow suite, it was too appropriate and cliché. Vomit! I don't want to give anything away, but by the end of the film, I was literally bored and quite annoyed.

For those who read the book, the following paragraph will make sense...and, no this doesn't give anything away to all of you others...they never mention the importance of Miranda's scarves nor do they ever make Andrea sing to security. Call me crazy, but I felt those were two major pieces of information from the book. And, Lilly, well I won't even mention how she and her men didn't play into the movie at all. And, B-Dad...not even the same relationship.

If you have contemplated reading or seeing The Devil Wears Prada, the book version is definitely the one to go with. The movie is lacking too much. We totally should have went with Sister's suggestion to see X-Men III. But, since I have an aversion to cooking as of late, I think that's what we'll do tonight...Quiznos and a movie
.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

except it was Meryl Streep

4:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Angie said...

Man, I loved that book! I too was wondering after watching the previews where were the scarves!!! I'll wait for this one to come out on DVD. Thanks for the tip!

P.S. Have you seen "Cars"? I know it's a kid movie but it was really cute.

9:41 PM EDT  
Blogger Nicole said...

Okay I just saw it today...and yes, Meryl Streep did not fit my the image I had concocted of Miranda in my head. (although I agree that she is a great actress) I was also a little disappointed in the story changes...didn't Andrea go to Brown U in the book instead of NW? Of course, after reading the book I don't think any production could match my imagination ;)

10:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Nicole said...

*the image* sorry!

10:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Christina/Christy/Chris said...

Oops, sorry about the Close/Streep mix-up...I too realized it while going to see "X-Men" last night, but it's now fixed. Nicole, yeah, Andrea went to Brown, not NW; she grew up in Connecticut, not Ohio; and she also smoked like a chimney.

9:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Billie said...

Oh Darn!!!! I am reading it right now (still have about hundred pages to go). I was really hoping for a decent movie production, but I never leave myself hoping too much because producers always have a way of making the movie so less filling than the book :) thanks for the info.

9:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I was planning to see it in the theater but won't waste my time or money on it. Will wait for the DVD. Sad thing is, not only do producers change fiction books they also rewrite actual history which then gets taken as truth to those who don't know history. I'm thinking of "Pearl Harbor" in particular. Very dangerous.

5:58 PM EDT  
Blogger Muriel said...

Nicole and I talked about it. I thought that Streeep did a good job but I did not like how they (i.e. the director/producer) made her almost human (with the divorce and the tears and stuff). Miranda is a B*@#^ and should stay that way. That's what the whole book is about. I agree that the singing part SHOULD have been in the movie.
Has anybody read "Memoirs of a Geisha". GREAT BOOK. The movie was good and the girl beautiful but there again they cut too much to make it as good as the reading.
We are going to see Pirates of the Carrabean next week!

8:32 PM EDT  
Blogger Muriel said...

Angie, I saw "Cars" with the kids and I thought it was a very cute movie!

8:33 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home